Traditional Christmas Cake
You are never too young or too old to learn. Every year I make a bunch of resolutions for the Xmas period including making a traditional cake. Only this year has that resolution come to fruition (cheesy grin) and it was such a hit with friends and family that I decided to share this "easy to prepare" recipe with others in the hopes that they too could go out and impress the elf socks off everyone, enjoy and remember...dont forget to have fun.
Christmas Cake Recipe
What you need
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and line a 15cm by 7cm deep cake (I used a square shape) tin with wax paper.
- In a large pot, combine the fruit cake mix, citrus peel, cherries, almonds, butter, orange juice, brandy essence, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice. Mix together well and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for approximately five minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Beat the egg with the sherry and milk and then fold the flour into the egg mixture.
- Add the fruit mixture and mix well to combine.
- Spoon into the cake tin and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the end of a metal skewer (or knife) comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool, line the top of the cake with boiled apricot jam.
- Roll out the marzipan as per instructions on the tub, cut to the size of the cake and gently lay the marzipan over the top of the cake. Be patient! Do not give up if it does not work perfectly the first time.
- Roll out the plastic icing as per instructions on the tub, cut to the size of the cake and gently lay the icing over the layer of marzipan. Smooth it down with your hands to give it a polished look.
- Decorate as desired. (I used leftover marzipan and icing to make a snowman family).
Step 1 - Christmas Cake
Step 2 - Christmas Cake Baked and Iced with snowmen made with icing
Step 3 - Christmas Cake Recipe Finished